There are many back country skiing and snowshoeing opportunities within the MNRA. Trailheads that are plowed regularly in the winter are:
- Chatfield off VT Rte. 125, giving access to Water Tower/Widow’s Clearing trails
- FR 89 off FR 32, giving access to Water Tower/Widow’s Clearing trails
- Widow’s Clearing off FR 32, giving access to Widow’s Clearing and Wilkinson trails
- Sucker Brook Trail off FR 32, giving access to Sugar Hill Reservoir
- Oak Ridge off VT Rt. 125, giving access to Oak Ridge Trail
- Falls of Lana/Silver Lake off VT Rte. 53, giving access to Silver Lake
- Blueberry Hill Area ski barn, giving access to Blueberry Hill area ski trails
Also, whether you enjoy classic or skate skiing, or back country touring, you will find opportunities duplicated nowhere else, with rentals and lessons available at Middlebury College’s Rikert Nordic Ski Center off VT Rte 125 just north of the MNRA. Trails are marked and groomed regularly during the ski season.
This is an activity that can be enjoyed on a well-marked trail or while bushwhacking your way through the woods. Much of the fun of snowshoeing comes in the exploring and there are unlimited options in the MNRA, each of which can be tailored to group size, age, and possible time constraints.
Both snowshoeing and skiing are more physically demanding than hiking. Unless you are already familiar with these activities, you should begin with shorter trips and build your way up to longer trips. Make sure you are fully prepared before you go, including: know the weather forecast, dress in layers, bring food and water, a map and compass.
Detailed MNRA maps are available to view and download - Here.
- Water Tower Trails
- Wilkinson Trails
- Robert Frost Interpretive Trails
- Silver Lake Trail System
- Widow’s Clearing Trial
- Blueberry Hill Area Trails
The Catamount Trail is a unique skiing and snowshoe trail that travels the length of Vermont, with a section through the Moosalamoo National Recreation Area. For more information on the trail, contact the Catamount Trail Association.
Cross-country Skiing & Touring Centers and Outfitters: